Haryana Chief Minister, Mr Manohar Lal, has approved signing  of agreement for Kishau and Renuka dam which would add new storage capacities of 1.04 MAF and 0.404 MAF water on two tributaries of river Yamuna,

October 18, 2018
  • Chandigarh October 17- Haryana Chief Minister, Mr Manohar Lal, has approved signing  of agreement for Kishau and Renuka dam which would add new storage capacities of 1.04 MAF and 0.404 MAF water on two tributaries of river Yamuna, that is river Tons  and Giri respectively. In addition, these two dams would generate 660 MW and 40 MW power respectively.
  • It may be recalled that Chief Minister, Mr Manohar Lal has already signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between six states for the Lakhwar project on August 28, 2018.
  • While stating this here today, a spokesman of Irrigation and Water Resources Department said that with the signing of agreement, would reduce the pressure on Haryana for supplying extra raw water to Delhi.
  • The spokesman said that Kishau project is located on river Tons, which is a tributary of river Yamuna, in districts of Dehradun (Uttarakhand) and Sirmaur (Himachal Pradesh). The storage capacity of the dam would be 1.04 MAF and it would produce 660 MW of power. About 2950 hectares land of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh would be submerged. He said that a joint venture of Uttarakhand Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (UJVNL) and Himachal Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (HPPCL) would be the executing agency. The water would be shared by the shareholder states in proportion to their shares as per MoU of May 12, 1994 whereas power would be shared by Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
  • He said that the Renuka Project is located on river Giri, a tributary of river Yamuna in district Sirmaur, Himachal Pradesh. This dam would have a storage capacity of 0.404 MAF and generation capacity of 40 MW. A total of 1216 hectares land of Himachal Pradesh would be submerged. HPPCL would be executing agency. He said that Delhi has been staking its claim on waters to be released from Renuka Dam. Initially, it was proposed to allocate entire releases from Renuka Dam to Delhi for meeting its drinking water needs. But after objection by Haryana, it is now proposed that only the additional water available due to construction of Renuka Storage would be made available on priority to meet the drinking water needs of Delhi as worked out by Upper Yamuna River Board (UYRB). Meaning thereby, the waters that would have flown down the river Giri without there being any storage, would continue to be distributed like before and only the additional waters  that  become available  due to the construction of storage would be made available to Delhi. Delhi would have priority but not the entire additional water. 
  • He said that total cost of the 3 projects would be Rs. 9588.60 Crore of which 90% will be borne by Government of India as these have been declared projects of national importance. Government of Haryana will pay Rs 458.52 Crore as its portion of the remaining 10% cost to be borne by the states.